Cinematic Color: From Your Monitor to the Big Screen (pdf, 6.6 MB)
A VES Technology Committee White Paper
Authored by Jeremy Selan, and reviewed by the members of the VES Technology Committee including Rob Bredow, Dan Candela, Nick Cannon, Paul Debevec, Ray Feeney, Andy Hendrickson, Gautham Krishnamurti, Sam Richards, Jordan Soles, and Sebastian Sylwan.
The VES Technology Committee has assembled an expert panel that can be reached at email@example.com with questions, comments and errata related to this document.
- Color Science Basics
- Color Encoding, Color Space, Image States
- Display-Referred Imagery
- Scene-Referred Imagery
- Color Correction, Color Space, "Log"
- Motion-Picture Color Management
- Digital Intermediate, Mastering, Delivery
- Lighting, Rendering, Shading
- Texture and Matte Painting
- Critical Inspection of Imagery
- Lookup Tables (LUTs)
- File Formats
- DCI P3 and X'Y'Z'
- OpenColorIO (Github) - Color framework for visual effects and animation
- Sony Pictures Imageworks (Open-Source) (Github) - VFX / Animation Studio
- Bruce Lindbloom - Online resource for color conversion math
- Open-Source VFX - A directory of Open-Source projects for the VFX community
- Poynton - Information on video standards and gamma
- Visualizing the XYZ Color Space - Visual exploration of CIE XYZ
- DCraw - Free, high quality, camera raw conversion
- DCI Specification - Theatrical digital distribution and colorimetry standard
- Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) - Future motion-picture colorimetry standard
- Real-Time Rendering (Blog) - A great online CG resource, often with a color theme.